Here today, to share a huge hug with everyone. Yesterday’s news of extended lockdown was hard but collectively, we are going to get through this.
If you are in lockdown also, I hope you and your families are coping. I look around at my own family & I am acutely aware of the mixed feelings & the real need to look out for one another. Every family has been through a lot & understanding that resilience isn’t something that we are born with & learning that we can build more of it is something I have found really helpful.
Self-care and self-compassion are also so important, perhaps now more than ever.
Having a few delicious things to brighten up the weeks help hugely also.
Here’s a new recipe for savoury Spinach and feta scrolls. I made them recently and they quickly progressed high on the families fave food ladder. They make for a great savoury breakfast, especially for teens who roll out of bed a few minutes before their first zoom when homeschooling (I am clearly very close to that familiar story).
Tonight we’ll be enjoying these buns for dinner. I’ll warm them a little, and we will enjoy them with my recipe for Spiced chickpeas with halloumi. I hope either or both of these delicious recipes give you a leg up you might need this week.
Thank you for continuing to be a part of the Relish Mama community and family.
Much love always,
Spinach and feta scrolls
- Baking tray
For the dough
- 650 g plain flour plus a little extra for kneading and dusting
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 80 g butter unsalted
For the filling
- 370 ml milk full fat
- 1 egg free-range, lightly beaten
- 7 g dried yeast (1 sachet)
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 120 g baby spinach leaves
- 200 g feta cheese crumbled
- 50 g pine nuts
- 1 egg free-range
- 45 g parmesan finely grated
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- For the dough, combine the flour and salt in a large bowl, and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.Place the milk in a small saucepan. Have a medium-sized bowl ready on the side. As soon as the milk comes to a boil, quickly take it off the heat and pour the milk into the bowl. Using a fork, gently whisk in the yeast. Add the yoghurt and egg and stir to combine. Whisk to combine, then pour into the dry mixture. Mix to form a very sticky dough. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hour.Uncover the dough. Knock back the dough by using your fist to make one punch in the centre of the dough to knock our any air. Knead the dough on a floured bench for 30 seconds or so. Roll the dough out to a rectangle about 30cm x 40cm. Scatter the dough with spinach, feta and pine nuts. Roll up tightly and cut into 16 pieces. Place the scrolls on a lined baking tray. Allow approx 1 cm between each as they will spread. Cover with the clean tea towel once more and leave to rise for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Glaze with scrolls with egg and sprinkle with parmesan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle with sumac, as they come out of the oven.