In fear of sounding like a complete freak, I make caramelised onions most weeks of my life! No lies! I caramelise a few onions, usually on a Sunday, and then I store them in the refrigerator for a little ‘leg-up’/fridge helper during the bust week ahead. Call me what you will!
A good caramelised onion is so versatile and with a busy life, I am crazy for ANYTHING that is versatile & a help.
Caramelised onions can make a fast mid-week meal that little bit more special. They are also sensational tossed through pasta along with toasted pine nuts, evo and fresh herbs. They make a great topping for your perfectly cooked steak. They are wonderful added to a goats cheese tart and are a fabulous addition in your lunchtime wrap or baguette…….the list goes on.
Having caramelised onions in your fridge are also fabulous and a little hero when you need that quick little canape. Whether it be for a planned party or when friends drop in.
With caramelised onions in the fridge, you can fill a little mini pastry tartlet with these sweet treasures, pop the cork on a bottle and enjoy! And ….If you’ve enjoyed the company of your friends and that bottle of vino a little too much (good for you) and if dinner is now chasing you….. You are armed with the dinner ideas above. Caramelised onions again, just might save the day!
For more great recipes like this one and lots of dinner inspiration, we’d love to sign and send and copy of the Relish Mama cookbooks direct to your door. Consider them your new best friend in the kitchen.
Mini tartlets of caramelised onion with Relish Mama’s beetroot and balsamic relish and goats cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar high quality
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Ready-made mini savoury pastry cases
- I -2 tablespoon’s of Relish Mama Beetroot & Balsamic relish
- 100 g soft good quality marinated goats cheese crumbled (or use a good quality fetta)
- Fresh thyme leaves to garnish
- Heat a large pan over low heat. Add the onions & cook for approximately 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until very soft. Add the sugar, balsamic vinegar, pinch of salt & some pepper & cook for 5 minutes longer until the onions are caramelized. Remove from the heat & leave to cool. These can be stored, for up to a week, in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- Fill the pastry cases with caramelised onions, top with Relish Mama’s beetroot and balsamic relish and a little crumbled goats cheese and thyme leaves.